Our History

7th Avenue original church buildingTwin Lakes Church began in 1890 and was known as the “Little Brown Church by the Sea.” Situated on 7th Avenue in Santa Cruz, next to Seabright Lake (now the Santa Cruz Harbor), this small congregation grew under the pastorate of Roy Kraft.

By the 1960s, a larger building became necessary for the growing congregation, and so the search for a new location began. The current property in Aptos near Cabrillo College was chosen, and after extensive construction Twin Lakes Church officially moved to their present location near Cabrillo College in the early 1970s. With modern and spacious facilities, the church grew significantly.

After many years of devoted service, Pastor Kraft retired in 1990. In 1993, Pastor René Schlaepfer took the role of senior pastor. With the support of the church body, the main sanctuary building underwent a major renovation in 2000, followed by a remodel of the gymnasium in 2004 and Monschke Hall in 2007.